All Directors now need a Director ID. How can I apply?

Nov 1, 2021

From the 1st of November 2021, all directors of Australian Companies are required to apply for a Director ID. Existing directors have until 30 November 2022 to apply. If you become a director after the 1st of November and before the 4th of April 2022, you will have 28 days to apply, while directors who become a director after 4 April 2022 will need to apply for a Director ID prior to becoming a director.

Significant penalties can apply for not meeting the applicable deadline to apply for a Director ID. While we can provide you assistance with the application process, due to ID requirements, directors need to apply for a Director ID themselves.

A director ID is an identification number that is attached to each director. Each director will have one Director ID number that will be used for all Companies that the director is linked to.

To apply for a Director ID there are three available options:

1. Apply online using a MyGov ID

The online application will ask you to set up a MyGovID if you dont already have one. A MyGovID is different from MyGov and is an app that proves your identity for government services. You may already be using a MyGovID to access ATO Business Online Services. To register for a MyGov ID you'll need the following:

  • An email address that is not shared with another person
  • At least two of the Australian identity documents listed below:
    • Drivers licence or learner's permit
    • Passport
    • Birth Certificate
    • Visa
    • Citizenship certificate
    • ImmiCard
    • Medicare Card

If you do not have two of the above documents, you wont be able to apply online and you'll have to use one of the other two options listed below.

To apply for your Director ID online, please click here

If you have been able to setup a MyGovID, the next step will be to gather two of the following documents to verify your identity with the ATO:

  • Bank account details (either the one your tax refund is paid to or one that has earned interest)
  • ATO Notice of Assessment
  • Super account details
  • A dividend statement
  • a Centrelink payment summary
  • PAYG payment summary

You'll then be able to click on the button to Apply now with MyGovID which is at Step 3 in the above link.

Once you have submitted your application your Director ID will be displayed on screen. Please print or save this and let us know your number.

2. Apply by Phone

To apply by phone you will need:

  • Your tax file number
  • Your residentital address as held by the ATO
  • Answers to two questions that the ATO knows about you
  • Two Australian identity documents. The identity documents must be one primary and one secondary document. The primary documents are
    • Australian Birth Certificate
    • Australian Passport
    • Australian Citizenship Certificate
    • Immicard
    • Visa (If still in Australia)

The secondary documents are

  • Medicare Card
  • Australian Drivers Licence

3. Apply by Paper

If in Australia:

To apply by paper within Australia you'll need to send copies (not originals) of one of the following documents along with a certified copy of your Medicare Card AND an Australian Drivers Licence or learners permit:

  • Australian Birth Certificate
  • Australian Passport
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Foreign passport

You'll need to get the documents certified by one of the following people who are not connected with you:

  • Barrister
  • Solicitor
  • Medical practitioner
  • Judge
  • Justice of the Peace (JP)
  • Minister of religion (who is authorised to celebrate marriage)
  • Police officer
  • Bank, building society or credit union officer with at least five years of service
  • Sheriff's officer

An authorised certifier must, in the presence of the applicant, certify that each copy is a true and correct copy of the original document. This involves:

  • sighting the original document
  • stamping, signing and annotating the copy of the identity document to state, 'I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true and correct copy of the original document sighted'
  • initialling each page
  • listing their name, date of certification, phone number and position.

The stamp must show the certifier's qualification, contact details including phone number, and reference number (if applicable).

If the stamp does not include their name or contact details, they should print them underneath their signature.

Documents that are not in english will need to be translated by an approved translation service.

If outside of Australia

To apply by paper if you are outside of Australia you'll need to provide a certified and translated copy of one primary and one secondary document listed below:

Primary documents

  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Foreign Passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian Passport

Secondary documents

  • National Photo ID card
  • Foreign government ID
  • Drivers Licence as long as the licence matches your address details
  • Marriage Certificate (unless used as proof of a name change)

If you have changed your name you also need to provide either a marriage certificate, deed poll or change of name certificate.

The following people are able to certify ID outside of Australia:

  • Notary Publics
  • Staff at the Australian embassy, high commission or consulate.